Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I don’t even know where to begin…

I just returned from my Atlantic Canada road trip and it was by far the most fun I’ve had in any weekend in Canada that I can remember. Maybe it was because I’m in love, or constantly amazed by stereotypes and trivia, but I loved every single second. I tried renting a puppy for my g/f while were there for our 1 year, but that’s not allowed apparently, so I settled on dick in a box…which also didn’t work

I guess I’ll break it down by city.

Fredericton New Brunswick:
A city of this size has no right to be so much fun. After 10 hours in a car of punch, fuck, marry, dancing, and Feist getting to Freddy was a God send. There were two vans, the boys and a girls van…I got stuck driving the girls. Scott and I headed to Matty’s house to hook up with some locals and pounded a few beers before heading to Dolan’s. What a fucking atmosphere. Everyone in the town was there and it was such an eclectic crowd. The band ruled and people actually bothered to rock out rather than just being stuck up and waiting for the DJ’s set. Everyone was amazing and beautiful, smiles on every face with a pleasant and welcoming body language. I love that city. Pour Some Sugar on Me Freddy.

Halifax Nova Scotia:
Following on the heels of Fredericton, Halifax didn’t disappoint. There’s so much to say, the $1 power hour that lasted all night at Peddler’s, our pub crawl vs. the bachelor party, Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys…Every inch of that city was amazing. Looking out for friends and having their bodies fall apart in you hands, the candid conversations outside the club that left me tingling and hopeful, feline eyes and crinkled noses that made my head spin in nervousness. And of course my girlfriend; her longsuffering, her grace, her infuriatingly powerful and detailed mind. I think I spent hours playing with her fingers and watching the sun glow off her cheeks.

The steep inclines burned our calves, the sun tortured my bald head, and the salty sea air off the harbour disgusted and enticed me at the same time. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a great time in a Canadian city as I did in Halifax.

Saint John New Brunswick
On just a quick pass through after a series of wrong turns left us hours out of our way but it was well worth it. Picturesque fulfillment of east coast imagery that I longed for. Brightly coloured wooden house clinging to cliff sides seemingly floating on the mist. White sales swaying in temperamental waters. I want to go back so bad; perhaps the fact that it was an accident that we stumbled upon this little gem was symbolic of my luck this weekend.

The trip included stops in innumerable unnamed and unassuming communities that dotted Highway 1. Another romantic and tumultuous voyage; just the way I like it. The threat of moose (aim for the stomach isn’t the most comforting thing I’ve ever heard), pushing your body to its limit just because you don’t want to miss a single second. I was sick as a dog, hung over and otherwise, but I still couldn’t be happier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker