Thursday, June 21, 2007

BC day two

It’s great to be a traveler in your own city; we stopped in Toronto Tuesday night and had to find a place to stay. I love living like this, I actually enjoy getting stood up for rides on craigslist and struggling to catch a cab to catch buses in the nick of time. I like being stranded with my backpack and killing time with nothing to do but muse about my adventurism.

So I’m now in Saanich B.C. on Vancouver Island, just outside Victoria. We arrived yesterday morning in Vancouver and spent the day catching up with friends all over the city. Drinks were in order from downtown to Burnaby and then we had to race back to catch the ferry from Tswassenn to Swartz bay. It’s absolutely gorgeous here, and the weather is amazing (much better than when I last came in December).

We tanned on the deck of the “Spirit of Vancouver Island” as we curled in between hundreds of islands on the Straight of Juan de Fuca, not sure how it got its Spanish name but beautiful none the less. We landed on the island and caught up with my girlfriends’ dad and had sushi and caught a movie. Now we’re lying in the backyard dodging clouds trying to get honey dipped so we can make our friends jealous back in Ottawa.

Not sure what’s up next, but I’d like to visit some of my Dad’s friends. 50 years and one day ago he landed here as a refugee with his family. He was 12 and was taken in by a family who housed them and taught them English. I’d like to meet them to share some “coming full circle” sort of moment. It would probably be cooler for them then it would for me, since they’re probably a million years old now. But a piece of history would be a nice addition to this trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker