Sunday, February 04, 2007

The simplest task

I’m sitting in Montreal at great expense to myself. I faced terrible danger traveling here, and was threatened by peril and adventure all 500 miles of the journey. I found a guy on the internet willing to drive me here for $30. I met him in a parking lot and climbed into his delivery van. He runs to Montreal everyday to deliver Chinese newspapers, so there we sat, me and one other passenger, on a stack of papers as he careened around corners and slid in the deep slush.

On the 401 East we were trapped in a dense blizzard, big swirls of snow wrapped around us, and we jostled as he geared up and down. The van shook in the wind while his Chinese DVD’s blared through a tiny monitor. Cars, trucks and vans spun out in front of us and we weaved through the wreckage with out slowing down. I thought our choice of movie “Hostage” was fitting.

Snow piled thick and heavy on the wipers and visibility was reduced to next to nothing. I was soon comforting my fellow passenger, a middle-aged Chinese accountant woman with the same name as I have. It has broader appeal then I had realized. Chinese papers rained on us and slid below us, and I started to wonder if all this danger was worth it for a few papers.

As the ride intensified, and the contents of the van were further rattled I saw some papers fall to revel the real cargo. A course wooden crate with round holes punched into the sides, covered in chicken wire. All the time our driver ensured us that he has adequate commercial insurance, I couldn’t help but wonder if it covered illegal snake bites!

2 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ure suuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a liar, moo ma3oul! seriously stop exagerating your stories!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Sj said...

Ahem.. sounds like what ur bro and I are looking at every day here in Kin.. His email about the trip to Zambia should satisfy you that I aint bsing. El=C what u doin in Montreal?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker