Sunday, July 02, 2006

Pick One

Perhaps history can tell us a little about behavior and regret. The following is an excerpt of a letter written to Nero, Emperor of Rome, from his Mother Agrippina, before she was executed…

“…What does the title of empress mean to me, if I am accused of a crime that even the basest of women would abhor? Unhappy are those who breathe the air of the court. The wisest of people are not secure from storms in that harbor. There even a calm is dangerous. But why blame the court? Can that be the cause of my being suspect of parricide?… Tell me why would I plot against your life? To plunge myself into a worse fate? That’s not likely. What hopes could induce me to build upon your downfall? I know that the lust for empire often corrupts the laws of nature; that justice has no sword to punish those who offend in this way; and that ambition disregards wrong so long as it succeeds in its aim...Nay to what deity could I turn to absolution after I have committed so black a deed?”

Feeling guilty?

4 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Sj said...

no

but interesting

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger El Chupacabra said...

I wouldn't suspect you to feel guilty anyway. But I know alot of people who should. Ahhh politics

 
At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I googled Agrippina and found it interesting that there is a valid claim that her story and life were recorded incorrectly. In fact in that time period men did not approve of women having power or being in the spotlight. As all politicians know, spin is a careful tool and perhaps this is yet another way to suppress women in power. What is recorded history is very different then actual fact. But I get your point and you have encouraged thought. As for your question, I have nothing to feel guilty about, but I am not a politician.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger El Chupacabra said...

Apparently she had to work very hard to retain power, a lot of poisoinings and stuff. Once her son Nero was in power no doubt he helped her, well at least until he killed her. But ofcourse this could all be false, an inaccurate rendering of history...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker